Okay, while this is NOT the most fun topic, it needs to be addressed. And now that it’s officially Spring, it’s the perfect time to get this on your radar (and your calendar), if it’s not already.
This is kinda funny, kinda not. As an adult (post college), I had NEVER lived somewhere long enough to even think about what I’m going to tell you. I moved from state to state, house to house, never with these things on my mind….until recently.
We have lived in our house for 9 years and I’ve learned these things the hard way. Now that I know how to maintain my household appliances, I want to share it with you to save you the trouble…and possibly a new fridge!
Here are the down and dirty (literally) facts on what needs to be done in a home over the course of a year. Of course, there are other home maintenance items, such as painting, deep cleaning, etc, however, I am only covering appliances in this article. Also, the best way to learn HOW to do any of these things is to google it. There are a million videos to explain the process, step by step, for any of the below items.
- Clean the washing machine
- Clean the dishwasher
- Clean the garbage disposal (run vinegar ice cubes through your garbage disposal…it cleans the garbage disposal while sharpening the blades at the same time!)
Every 3-6 Months
- Clean the stove
- Clean the range hood
- Clean the condenser coils under your fridge
- Clean or change HVAC filters
- Check and change batteries in smoke and Co2 detectors
- Inspect fire extinguisher (make sure the gauge shows adequate pressure and that it’s easily accessible)
- Clean the dryer vent ducts
- Clean out the gutters
- Clean out the fireplace & chimney
- Have AC unit serviced
- Flush Water heater (can be as often at every 6 months, depending on unit)
- Change water filters (can be more often, depending on what you have and where you have them)
- Clean your sewer drains (this can be done every few years, especially if you have newer plumbing)
- Properly securing crawl spaces so critters can’t take up residence under your house
- Get a termite inspection!
If you live in a colder climate, you may have some additional maintenance between seasons!
Put these as reminders in your calendar, just as you would your dental or car maintenance check ups! If you spread them out over the course of the year, it will not seem as overwhelming…it will just become routine.
It’s all about having a system…and your appliances will thank you for it!
Now that those tasks are taken care of, let’s get back to organizing your house. Book a free consultation with me to see how we can take your home to the next level!